In a nutshell each of us young and old VW freaks have a tale to tell in response to the next door neighbours half-concerned question “ yes, but don’t you want to get a car that just goes when you get in it?” Beyond saying “no” what story do you tell about why you like (sorry love and give a pet name to) your van.
Do we come upfront and say because it represents a way we want to live?
Do you simply wryly smile and say “because it’s cool”?
Deprecating say “we all need a hobby”?
It’s usually not a problem because those interested enough to overcome their shyness will express their interest in doing something similar…….if only they had the time, the money, less wives and children, a month of Sundays. No, I’m more interested in what we used to call, quite rudely really, 'straights'.
What do they see in the van, people who are just different, a threat, worse a quaint vintage style hobby? I'd like to develop this thread further so so 'straight' or 'freak' I'd love to hear from you
No comments:
Post a Comment